I love doing science experiments with my son. One reason is that they help children become better readers. Also, they provide learning that is hands-on and uses the three senses of sight, hearing, and touch (sometimes smelling and tasting as well). They are the best way children can apply what they are learning.
In the past, I have used science experiments to teach my son lessons in hygiene such as the importance of washing his hands. The activity I will show you today is a great complement to that experiment. It is called the Tooth Decay Experiment. This could be your child’s next science fair project (for older kids).
The Tooth Decay Experiment will show your children the importance of brushing their teeth twice a day. Furthermore, it demonstrates what happens to your teeth when you drink certain beverages such as orange juice, tea, and water.
We have fun with all our experiments; even those that don’t work. It gives us opportunities to investigate and solve problems. I tell my son this is what scientist do!
The Tooth Decay Experiment has made my son a “Flossing and Teeth Brushing Advocate!” After you do this activity, it will probably have the same impact on your child. I will show you how to do it.
Let’s Get Started!
Warning: This post contains a lot of pictures.
- 5 cups (we used paper cups)
- 5 individual labels that read: Orange Juice, Soda, Water, Tea, and Vinegar
- 5 Eggs
- 1 cup of orange juice (enough to submerge an egg)
- 1 cup of dark soda (enough to submerge an egg)
- 1 cup of water (enough to submerge an egg)
- 1 cup of tea (enough to submerge an egg)
- 1 cup of vinegar (enough to submerge an egg)
- Plastic Gloves to protect hands
- Goggles to protect hands
Here is a video of my son doing the Tooth Decay Experiment. This video comes from my son’s YouTube Channel, Corban’s Fun Learning Adventures. Please like and subscribe for fun activities.
- Make 5 individual labels that read: Orange Juice, Soda, Water, Tea, and Vinegar
If you want to know how my son learned to write the alphabet and numbers as a 2-year-old through PLAY, click this link.
- Cut the labels out and put them on the cups.
- Put the eggs in each cup.
- Pour the liquids in each labeled cup.
- Let the eggs sit in the cups for 24 hours.
- The next day take the eggs out of the cups and see what happened.
This experiment had a big impact on my son. He knows that brushing his teeth is important. After doing this activity, he said he wanted brush his teeth everyday.
Try it at home and have fun!
Our books are available on Amazon, “Teach Your Toddler to Read Through Play,” “Fun Easy Ways to Teach Your Toddler to Write, and “Teach Your Child About Money Through Play.“