My son and I read books every night before his bedtime. I have noticed that he likes Science fiction books. One book he liked was called Big Monty and the Lunatic Lunch Lady.
It is about a boy named Merlin, aka Big Monty, who loves astronomy and wants to be accepted by a kid named A’Lo Jenkins. Big Monty discovered that the lunch lady in his school, Mrs. Findlehorner, created a monster out of leftover lasagna. This story takes the reader on a journey where Big Monty and his younger sister, Josephine, figure out how to stop Mrs. Findlehorner.
A wonderful feature in this book is it has scientific experiments and activities that kids can do at home. One activity that caught my son’s attention was the Archeologist activity. Archaeologists are scientists who study history by digging up old artifacts and other physical remains. This activity will keep your child busy and exercise their problem solving skills.
I will show you how to do it below.
Let’s Get Started
- A few toys such as blocks and hard plastic toys
- Little dinosaurs or Legos are good choices
- Take a few toys and put them in a bowl
- Cover the toys in the bowl with water
- Put the bowl in the freezer until they become a block of ice
- Tell your child that they will be an archeologist.
- Tell them that archaeologist are scientists who study history by digging up old artifacts and physical remains.
- Your child’s job is to dig out the fossils, which would be the toys frozen in water.
- Remind them to dig out the fossils or toys very carefully without breaking them.
- Give your child a spoon, toothpicks, and salt and tell them to get the fossils/toys out of the ice.
- THE SALT IS A CHEAT BECAUSE IT WILL HELP THE ICE MELT FASTER.
- You may immediately tell your child about the salt or let them figure it out for themselves.
Overall being an archaeologist was fun for my son. There are some changes I would make the next time we do this activity. They are listed below…
- Use less toys (four or less)
- Use a smaller bowl
Have fun with this activity!
OUR KID FRIENDLY FAST & FUN STUDY TRICKS FOR BETTER GRADES: 9 FUN STRATEGIES FOR SUCCESS IN LEARNING AND SCHOOL HAS $29 OFF THE ORIGINAL PRICE.
Our books are available on Amazon, “Teach Your Toddler to Read Through Play,” “Fun Easy Ways to Teach Your Toddler to Write, and “Teach Your Child About Money Through Play.“
THE TEACH YOUR TODDLER TO READ THROUGH PLAY ONLINE COURSE HAS A $97 DISCOUNT.
Click here for the PAYMENT PLAN OPTION!