About a year ago, my son and I went outside and played in the snow. We took our snow sled and joined the other kids in the neighborhood to slide down the hill. Afterwards, we had a fun snow ball fight, made snow angels, and created snow mountains. We had a blast!
A couple days later, the sun melted the snow. We were happy to see the sun but a little disappointed because we could not have fun in the snow. Spring was making itself known in our city.
We didn’t want to let go of the fun we had with snow, so we decided to make our own. My son and I did this activity a little over a year ago and I forgot about it.
It wasn’t until my best friend, Donna, asked me if we had ever made our own snow. I told her “yes” but forgot to share it with others through this blog.
I live in an area where we get snow every year. However, Donna’s children hardly see snow, so this was the perfect activity for them.
About two days later, Donna sent me pictures of her son and daughter making snow. She said this activity kept them busy for two hours!!!!
Making your own snow is a great hands-on activity for kids. I will show you how below. All you need is two ingredients that you most likely have in your home.
Let’s Get Started
- Baking Soda
- White Conditioner (some people use shaving cream as an alternative)
- Container or Pan to make and play with snow
- spoons (optional)
- Action Figures (optional)
- Cookie Cutter (optional)
- Sticks (optional)
- Start mixing 1/2 cup of conditioner and 3 cups or baking soda.
- We did not measure when we did this activity.
- We kept adding more baking soda and conditioner until we got the consistency we liked
- Make play time more fun by doing pretend play with action figures in the snow
- Donna gave her kids cookie cutters to make various shapes in the snow.
- Have your kids create artwork in the snow with sticks from outside.
Below are pictures of the fun our kids had making snow!